What to do when your Macbook needs parts replaced?
Did you know that owners of apple store products are able to obtain service and parts from Apple service providers for a minimum of 5 years from when Apple last distributed the product for sale?This includes Apple Retail Stores and Independent Repair Providers. Service and parts may be obtained for longer, as required by law or for up to 7 years, subject to parts availability. Additionally, Mac laptops may be eligible for an extended battery-only repair period for up to 10 years from when the product was last distributed for sale, subject to parts availability. However, Apple discontinues hardware service for certain technologically-obsolete products. Whether you are getting your Macbook battery replacement, a repair service, purchasing of replacement parts or data recovery, it is important to protect your information before you send your device for apple support or apple stores.
What you should do before getting you contact apple support or visit them?
1) Backup your computer hard diskThis is a necessary process regardless of what you are getting repaired. In order to ensure the device is working properly after any upgrade or services conducted, conducting a backup will help users eliminate any potential issues.
2) Contact and arrange for the service requiredDepending on availability in your area, you can make a reservation at an Apple Store, find an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or set up mail-in service. There are times where you need third party parts which can be obtained for a reasonable fee. Therefore, it would be beneficial to arrange for this prior to sending your macbook pro for a repair service.
3) Check your settingsMacbook service technicians would be able to perform any necessary diagnostic testing. However, if you would like to assist a technician during the repair service, you can conduct the following items:
- If you turned on Find My Mac, turn off Find My.
- If you turned on a firmware password, turn off the firmware password.
- If you arranged for mail-in service, follow any additional instructions you receive from Apple.